Log inRegister an accountBrowse CSDbHelp & documentationFacts & StatisticsThe forumsAvailable RSS-feeds on CSDbSupport CSDb Commodore 64 Scene Database
You are not logged in - nap
CSDb User Forums

Forums > CSDb Discussions > 'oneparted' games with highscore file....what''s your opinion?
2024-04-17 17:16
Overdoc

'oneparted' games with highscore file....what''s your opinion?

I recently compiled an Easyflash cartridge with a nice collection of classic C64 games for my kids.

Unfortunately, I discovered that some of the games would not run. :(
The reason: Some of the games (mandatory!) use a highscore file, and won't run if they cannot find/load the highscore file, while others crash or won't start over when they fail to write a new highscore.

This prevents those games to run from anything except a disk/d64 file, which is a shame imho, since one of the original reasons of one-parting games was to make them loadable from tape, for instance.

But besides tapes, there are multiple other options to store onefiled games like:
- Easyflash
- Kung-Fu Flash
- various multi-carts like Uni-Cart etc.
- Tapuino
- MMC64

Those games will not run on those platforms, despite they are 'one-parted' (which imho is not entirely true, since they are in fact 2-parted ;) )

I wonder what's you opinion about this topic?

... 5 posts hidden. Click here to view all posts....

2024-04-18 12:28
Krill

Quoting Fungus
That said, the scene has never really supported tape since the VERY early days (82/83).
<.ukscene> Ahum.
2024-04-18 13:09
Overdoc

I can confirm that Space Taxi didn't start when loaded from an Easyflash Mulit-Cartridge, but I read it doesn't start when loaded from tape as well.

Tape is only one example where such '2-filers' won't work. But there is a number of other hardware which basically supports onefilers, like I listed above, but fails with 2-filers.

Imho, a onefiler should be just what it says: one file ;)
And it should not mandatory need any data storage being connected to the C64 after you run it.
2024-04-18 18:37
Fungus

Quote: I can confirm that Space Taxi didn't start when loaded from an Easyflash Mulit-Cartridge, but I read it doesn't start when loaded from tape as well.

Tape is only one example where such '2-filers' won't work. But there is a number of other hardware which basically supports onefilers, like I listed above, but fails with 2-filers.

Imho, a onefiler should be just what it says: one file ;)
And it should not mandatory need any data storage being connected to the C64 after you run it.

Like I said, learn to do what you want to see.

I (and probably 99.8% of people) want everything to work from disks, or drive emulation.

My only interest in tapes is liberating software from them.
2024-04-18 18:49
chatGPZ

Quote:
<.ukscene> Ahum.

not in the UK either :)
2024-04-20 15:05
Overdoc

@Fungus:

Don't focus on tapes only, think about Kung-Fu Flash Cartridge for instance, which is used by many people! Also Easyflash compilations and various other multi-cartridge solution are quite popular.

What I find interesting is that some modern storage decices like SD2IEC seem to be supported by most sceners, while others like the ones I mentioned are not?!

About creating onefilers myself I have to say that it is not something completely new for me, I actually did lots of them in my youth in the 80s and early 90s, but mainly to save diskspace and because I liked the challenge ;) Still have probably almost all of them on my old disks, but these never found the way into csdb. (some I also cracked myself, while many others would be considered re-cracks, since I liked to put multi-file cracked games into one part and crunch them to a minimum. :) )

Still, I would be interested about the definition of a 'onefiler'?!
Imho games with highscore file are not onefilers.
But I have even seen multiloader-games marked as 'onefiled', where only the main file has been onefiled?
2024-04-20 17:11
chatGPZ

"onefiled" literally means "one file" (And it includes onefile-iffl too) - with the extra hi-score file being the exception to the rule. And extra stuff like docs or title pictures don't really count.
2024-04-20 17:53
Fungus

Stuff for Kung Fu Flash or Easy Flash are custom versions imo for those things. Nostalgia has made lots of them for EF, and even some things for the tape thing. It's extra work, and whoever did the game can do it if they like, or not if they don't.

SD2IEC is an issue because it proclaims to be a drive emulator, when it's not a drive emulator at all, in terms of the word "emulation". It's just another device and requires special firmware to work with anything that's not already supported by it, so it's not actually emulating anything really imo. It's a bit annoying to support in lots of ways. The main issue with it though is users, they try to put stuff in images rather than put it in the native format/partition, and that's why it doesn't work many times. It's not much different than CMD devices with their emulation partitions that no one really ever used because of similar limitations, where as it was easy enough to code on/for them because they are true "smart" devices that are programmable.

One filer definition is pretty much established as putting all stuff from the game in one file, be it loading pics, intros, levels, etc. Adding high score savers/save games or supporting level/demo editing if the original had it is just not possible to put in the file itself outside SIFFL and then you have compatibility issues anyway, so having those files external makes sense to do.

You can remove/disable such features if you like, but that's generally not what people want, so you're asking for something that's rather niche by a small subset of users. Most people want and appreciate enhancements to things within reason. Some people go a little bit far or in weird directions with that, but that is a different subject. Remakes and heavily modified games are also a different subject.

I think hardware manufacturers should support doing things that the native system and peripherals do, no exceptions. It was a design consideration for Commodore, CMD, MSD, and most other HW manufacturers back in the day, and I don't understand why that has changed when it's really not all that difficult to support. I don't like walled gardens, or having to make custom routines for everything. I also don't like being stuck with Commodore's slow IEC protocol or trying to support other 3rd party solutions like Jiffydos (which I never liked) or Fastload (which downright sucks). If I need to make something custom, at least give the ability to do so, in an easy way without having to make custom firmware to do it. It will make such hardware more acceptable and used more by people with the skill to do so... I'm starting to rant, so I'll cut it here.
2024-04-20 18:11
chatGPZ

Quote:
SD2IEC is an issue because it proclaims to be a drive emulator

Actually it doesn't. Unseen would be the first to say its not (and he frequently does) - its also clearly stated on https://sd2iec.de :)

The problem are the various sellers of sd2iec, who omit this.
2024-04-20 23:39
Fungus

He may not, but people selling them constantly say so. This has been embedded into users brains too, we've all seen that on lemon enough.

It's hard to change dogma once it's seated.
2024-04-21 20:55
TheRyk

Quoting Overdoc
... Some of the games (mandatory!) use a highscore file, and won't run if they cannot find/load the highscore file, while others crash or won't start over when they fail to write a new highscore.

This prevents those games to run from anything except a disk/d64 file ...

I wonder what's you opinion about this topic?

Imho adding a hi-saver normally includes building it in a way that it's selectable and EVEN IF it is selected/activated but finds no drive/file, it just sets option to disabled but otherwise crack works, thought anyone does it this way <- imho(!) state of the art these days, but might be a matter of opinion.

Anyway, what is the problem? Just find a one-filed crack without +H or a more recent one with OPTIONAL hi-saver or one that won't lead to crash if it doesn't find a drive or the file.
Previous - 1 | 2 - Next
RefreshSubscribe to this thread:

You need to be logged in to post in the forum.

Search the forum:
Search   for   in  
All times are CET.
Search CSDb
Advanced
Users Online
St0rmfr0nt/Quantum
DJ Gruby/TRiAD
Guests online: 144
Top Demos
1 Next Level  (9.8)
2 Mojo  (9.7)